Skip to content

Marriage in Denmark

Below you can find information about marriage in Denmark between a Brazilian and a Danish citizen.

As a general rule, for a marriage to take place in Denmark, it is a requirement for the Brazilian citizen to provide the municipality (kommune), where the marriage will take place, with the following documents:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Declaration of Marital Status     
  • Passport

It is required that the birth certificate and the declaration of marital status are legalised, first by the Brazilian Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Brasilia, and afterwards by the Embassy of Denmark in Brasilia.

After this, the documents must be translated. Contact the municipality (kommune), where the marriage will take place, about the necessity of a sworn interpreter.

The rules might vary depending on the place of marriage. Therefore the Embassy recommends that you contact the place, where you intend to get married.

For the couple to reside in Denmark the alien normally has to apply for a family reunion residence permit.

As a general rule foreign men and women, who are married to Danish nationals acquire Danish nationality by naturalisation after residing in Denmark for 6 years, of which the 3 last years have been together with their Danish spouse. Read more about naturalisation here