Skip to content

Application procedure for au pair visa  

Below you find the application procedure for obtaining an Au Pair-visa.

[No text in field]

You can be granted a residence permit in order to function as an au pair with a host family in Denmark.

If you are a Nordic citizen, you are free to reside, study and work in Denmark. If you are an EU/EEA citizen or Swiss citizen seeking residence in Denmark based on the EU regulations on freedom of movement, you may be subject to special rules. More information about EU/EEA and Nordic citizens.

It is your own responsibility to obtain a residence permit if you are required to.

The purpose of an au pair stay
The term au pair means 'on equal terms'. The idea of an au pair stay is for a young person to stay with a host family with children under the age of 18 'on equal terms' with the other members of the family. The purpose is for the au pair to improve language and/or professional skills as well as broaden his/her cultural horizon by becoming more acquainted with Denmark. In return, the au pair participates in the host family's domestic chores (e.g. cleaning, washing clothes, cooking, babysitting) for a minimum of three and a maximum of five hours a day, and no more than six days a week.

To ensure that you have a chance to improve your language and/or professional skills and broaden your cultural horizon as described above, it is a condition for getting a residence permit as an au pair that you already have the necessary linguistic and cultural foundation to receive the full benefit of your stay in Denmark.

This means that there are certain conditions which must be met, either by you, your host family, or both of you, please see detailed information here.

Read more about how to apply.

The processing time is in average two months. It will only be processed after all documents have been correctly submitted.

In general, a condition for the issuance of a residence permit for au pairs is that the applicant has not previously held a Danish residence permit.

The application should normally be submitted in your country of residence. However, if you are in another country legally for more than 3 months you may submit the application in that country.

The application must be filled in and handed in personally to the Embassy of Norway in Brasilia or to the Consulate General of Norway in Rio de Janeiro. The list of fees can be found on the website

IMPORTANT: All applicants must contact the competent mission of Norway in Brazil in order to schedule a visit to submit the application.


Embassy of Norway in Brasilia:
Tel.: +55 (61) 3521 9800

Consulate General of Norway in Rio de Janeiro:
Tel.: +55 (21) 2586 7500

For more detailed information on obtaining a residence permit to function as an au pair, visit the site of the Danish Immigration Service - find the link below.

A processing fee will normally need to be paid when a foreign national applies for a residence permit.


Get more information